Monday 2 August 2010

Welcome to Lucy's Land of Wonders

Well here we go this is the first posting for my blog,I have decided to keep a lifestyle/interior design blog.
The main reason behind this is I am going to start an evening course in interior designer and have decided to show what things I see that I love and inspire me. There are so many moments when you stop, and look, and see something that makes you stare, I want to share those moments with you and explain why I think these certain things make you do this.
I even have my first one for you today.


Not Really Grey.................

A while ago I watched the film "Grey Gardens". Based on the life stories of the eccentric aunt and first cousin of Jackie Onassis (both named Edith Bouvier Beale aka "Big and Little Edie") raised as Park Avenue débutantes but who withdrew from New York society, taking shelter at their Long Island summer home, "Grey Gardens."
Well the house Grey Gardens inspired me, the beautiful shingled summer mansion built by Joseph Greenleaf Thorpe in 1897 at Georgica Pond in East Hampton, Long Island. The interior was flamboyant,plush,intense colours and somehow expressed the personalities of the people who lived there.
Which I think is what interior design is all about,being able to show aspects of you thru your home decor.


This is the living area from the HBO film Grey Gardens but they replicated this from photographs.
The thing I love about this room is the intense purple shade on the walls and they way your eye is immediately drawn to the picture above the mantle piece.


    
The Bedroom at grey gardens. I loved the shade of buttercup yellow on the walls and this is actually very on trend now, as the whole shabby chic look is ever more in demand. There is a mixture of colours and textures,it has a glamorous feel about it yet doesn't look unlived in. I do believe a home should show the lives going on there, and have some tasteful clutter (now i don't mean mess,there is a distinct difference between some clutter and mess!),




The idea of having a alternative living area that almost looks like two single beds from a bedroom, makes us break the rules a bit, and not always use furniture that is labelled as being for a specific room. By taking different pieces furniture and using them in a room you wouldn't normally you can create a truly unique space.


The reason for my last picture is because this is Edith Bouvier Beale, who lived at Grey gardens with her mother. I wanted to show you that if you look at how she is dressed and her dramatic pose this is expressed beautifully in the interior of the house. So express yourself thru your home!!! After all its you who lives there!


I think my first entry was just a little taster of things to come,I will be sharing with you things I have seen on my travels that have inspired me,things I see on a day to day basis and also all the other many hundreds of inspirations this world of ours has to offer.


Welcome to Lucy's Land of Wonders, I hope you enjoy the exploration!

No comments:

Post a Comment