Tuesday 3 August 2010

Not just little girls like sugar and spice and everything nice............

I feel pretty..............................................

Pretty rooms,there is something about this look that transports me to my childhood. I remember my first ever room as a child being painted a sugary pale pink.How I loved that room, my first bedroom all to myself and so pretty. Sometimes by adding an element of your past to your home it makes you remember fond memories.
 An assortment of floral china and chintzy fabrics makes me think of my grandmothers house and items you use to create this look have a feeling of being passed down from generation to generation.

This look makes you want to take afternoon tea and sit and chatter.


It is not a perfect, strict, 'finished' style, but mixes and matches different looks and styles. It includes treasured family heirlooms, handed down, and items of many different eras and styles.

I think one of the simplest  and cheapest ways to create this looks is by adding some flowers to your home. Look out for old fashioned pottery - use water pitchers and bowls to hold big bunches of flowers (gathered from your own garden maybe?). Or even use an something more unusual to display your flowers, how about a tea cup and saucer?




If you like your nick-nacks, this is definitely the look for you! Look out for all sorts of little boxes, bowls, pots and pretty ornaments. Display collections of tea-pots, porcelain dolls, precious family heirlooms.
I like the fact that there are no real rules for this look, its all about slowly adding pieces that you love the look of.


The below two images show some ways to create this look in your living room. I think they work particularly well as they look so sickly sweet but yet remain stylish.
 There are antique pieces used which some people feel date a room but when you use antiques in a precise well thought out way you can reinvent them and make them once more a feature of your home.





So if you want to add a little sugar to your home, go on, why not,make yourself and  your home feel pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment