Tuesday 3 August 2010

If you go down to the bottom of the garden.............

As a child I used to love spending hazy,lazy summer afternoons at my grandmothers. She had this amazing gift for bringing things to life.
My grandmother had a long garden,where at the end stood an old metal swing surrounded by wild sprung forget me nots. She told me that this was where the fairies lived and that we should make them clothes from all the flowers that grew in her garden.
We collected every type,colour and shape of flower imaginable and carefully assembled them into dainty fairy outfits.Once we had finished we lay them out underneath the swing and carefully crept away and waited for them to be taken by the fairies.
And when I went back a few hours later they had  all gone.My grandmother told me that the fairies would now be wearing their beautiful flower clothes.


Its summer in London at the moment and my garden is in full bloom, the colours got me thinking about colour in your home. I strongly believe that colour originally comes from nature.




Here are a couple of  the photographs I took of the flowers in my garden.

I always think these look like happy smiling faces.



Natural colours that can be used in the home calm greens,white with just a hint of pink.



Colour schemes not only influence mood, but you can use them at a low cost to improve the whole shape and feel of a room. Remember the decorators rule of thumb: light colour expand a space, while dark colours reduce it.

Colour palettes

To choose a scheme for a room, think of things you love. Are you influenced by the heady and exotic colours of India. Make homage to this thru colour.


An indian inspired dining area.


I found a very interesting article on BBC homes website .
www.bbc.co.uk/homes/design/colour_wheel.shtml
This explains how to combine colour to work well, and whether they are toning, harmonious or complementary.

Don't be reluctant to experiment with colour, so many of us take the safe option and paint our walls white. If you paint your room a bold exciting new colour and get bored of it changing it is easy just the flick of a paintbrush.!!!




I think the reason why I told you the story about the fairies at the bottom of the garden was to show you that as a child we use our imagination but when we become adults we stop. I think by introducing colour in your home you can rekindle your imagination.Take inspiration from your garden and nature and the colours you see outside.Bring some of that beauty inside your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment